Thursday, September 15, 2011

Overdue and Last Update

I've been in not only Mississippi, but back in Starkville as well as going to class for almost two months now. Transitioning from Uganda, to home, and being thrown into rush just two weeks after being in Jackson was a lot of adjusting to do in not a lot of time.

Coming back to America was not so difficult in terms of culture and conditions. I've learned to be grateful for the lives we live and humbled by God's goodness. Small things like having anything I want to eat, being able to drive where I want to go, air conditioning, warm showers, or even the joy of simply having running water are more than enough to keep my mouth quiet in humble gratitude. Electricity is a nice perk too ;) Although, candles and headlights more than sufficed in our dire need to play cards at night when the power would be out for days. While adjusting to conditions and culture seemed to be an easy feat, the transition back into relationships was hard.

For so long, I dreamed of the day I could finally see my friends and family and wrap my arms around them once again. The most difficult challenge of going to Uganda was going alone, but it was the best thing for me. I do not want to take my friendship with Dawn for granted. She was a blessing and a gift during those six weeks, and I believe we will remain good friends in the future. However, you can only get to know someone so well in a matter of six weeks. Without the luxury of calling my parents at the drop of a hat, or texting someone in moments of weakness; I was driven into prayer more than ever. The first three weeks seemed so hard and so lonely. Yet, overtime, I got to see the Lord comfort me and walk along side me as I struggled my way through living in another country. The nearness of God became something I now know not only in my head, but also in my heart. It is a beautiful thing to walk in intimate relationship with Him.

As I rode the plane to America, I could hardly keep myself still with the excitement of finally landing on American soil. On the flight from Atlanta to Jackson I actually had to turn my head towards the window to hide the goofy, massive smile that spread across my face from the person next to me. I feared they might find me somewhat bizarre, and wouldn't understand the intense excitement I was experiencing. My heart was bursting with happiness at the thoughts of seeing my family face to face. Sure enough when I arrived, I was greeted by a mother in tears and a pretty great dad welcoming me with hugs and smiles. It was great to feel safe and loved once again.

What I didn't quite expect, was the feeling of looking at my parents and thinking: I've wanted to see them for so long, but there is so much about me and my life that they know nothing about. It took me off guard to feel a sense of loneliness upon returning home. However, I once again was driven into prayer and have truly learned to be content just being Louise and resting in fellowship with Christ. After a few days to share pictures and stories, being home became sweet once again, and I enjoyed the time to rest. Returning to school has been difficult at times with all the business and fast pace way of life. I often find myself wishing I could go back to Uganda and be with my friends. However, I feel confident that being at State is where I need to be as of now. It may not be my favorite thing or place to be, but I know that I've been grace sufficient to accomplish what the Lord puts before me to His glory. I've been blessed with some amazing roommates, great friends, and a wonderful family. Beyond all these blessings, Christ Himself is sufficient.
I want to remember what I've experienced this past summer and apply it to where I am now. I cannot thank those of you who have supported me enough. You have helped to further the kingdom of Christ and have played part in an eternal benefit. Thank you.

Even though this post is my last and beyond overdue; these are some pictures of things I wrote about and saw while in Kampala.

This is Faith from one of my first posts that I wrote about

Baby Sirus from the TRH home

Dawn and I hand washing our clothes!

Dawn and I decided to be twinkies in our silly church girl dresses

Me with the children from the slums

Alley way in the slums

Some of the student from one of the schools we spoke on Human Rights at

One of the buildings at the children's prison

Jessica and I with the children from the prison

Chris in his natural habitat-surrounded by children with a big smile

We went on a hike with some of the kids from Dwelling Places one afternoon after school

Pretty awesome

Some of our new friends that came to our cookout!

Murchison falls that flows into the Nile River

Me with all the youth boys from DP. We became such great friends

This is Charles; my closest friend I made and the guy who always took care of us. It sure was difficult to leave him.

Christine and I-took her a while to hug us, but we finally got her around to it ;)

Playing our last few games before leaving to distract us from the sad news of our departure

Beautiful sunset during the sad drive to the airport

Last picture of Dawn and I on our way HOME!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I love you and am so glad you are back. I cannot wait to finally get to fix you that breakfast for supper, since we did not have the chance before you returned to State. I know the Lord is still growing you and working in you (He never stops) specifically from the things you learned in Africa. Thank you for the update, Louise. You are such a blessing and I love seeing the pictures of your God-given gifts blessing the people of Africa and them, in turn, blessing you!

    ReplyDelete